Monday, October 29, 2007

Busy again... as usual

I have had a lot going on the past couple of weeks.

It has been busy at work during the weekends.

I have been getting ready for Harvest Night Football Fiesta. That has taken up a reasonable amount of time, typing things up and organizing, buying stuff, etc.. From what I hear, that was a great success. I am glad. I am also disappointed I never get to see the fruit of the effort I put into things. I didn't get to see the outcome of the Fear Factor day at church either. I suppose it is no different from any ministry.... planting, watering, harvesting..... I just don't get to the harvest part. :( Maybe I will get a little jewel in my crown someday. Ok, no more pity party.

I am still taking my classes and the homework is somewhat extensive at times, but very interesting.

I haven't really been able to go to any homeschool support meetings the past couple of years because of my schedule, but they changed the night for me so it would work out. I guess the change of nights was also better for a few of the other ladies too. All the better.... there will be a better attendance. It was good for me to go and we just kind of had a planning meeting and got to know each other. You know, I have been around Christians for so long now and have really separated myself from worldly people (it's much easier) that I forget what the rest of society acts and thinks like. The homeschool group I am with has always had a Christian bent, but there is such a mix of beliefs. Catholic, baptist, lutheran, etc... They were all having a discussion about whether they were going to celebrate Halloween or not.... like some of them don't believe in going out dressed up but they will give out candy to fit into the neighborhood. And the lady that hosted the meeting.. her house was totally decked out in halloween everything.... I was shocked. I just listened and no one asked my opinion so I didn't offer it either.
Last year, Elizabeth told the lady at the pizza place that halloween was the devil's birthday.

There are a lot of younger moms in the group this year. I have been homeschooling 8 years now. Alot of them have kids that are 8 y.o and younger. I feel like I have a little bit more to offer this year in terms of advice and encouragement. There are some years I have felt like I have had absolutely nothing to offer. It was very frustrating and I didn't even want to go.

Friday, I took the kids to a playgroup called Young Knights. All the little boys were around Jesse's age and they all had swords and a couple of guns. I told Ethan to offer to be the evil black knight and let the little ones chase him around. They really didn't want to play with him much.
There were some girls there that were Elizabeth's age too. I was so glad. And I didn't hear anything bad about it after we went home either. Sometimes I get to hear how awful rebellious the girls were or that the boys were doing naughty stuff. The only thing I was upset about was that one of the boys said something to Elizabeth that she looks like bugs bunny because of her teeth and that specific boy was trying to get her with his sword. She came running over to me crying.
I told her to tell him that knights were supposed to protect the princesses not kill them. And I told her to tell him that what he said was unkind but that she forgives him. She did and that was the end of it. The boy said he was sorry to her.
We all had hot chocolate and someone had brought cupcakes for the kids. It was a nice fall day out that afternoon too. The kids both said that this was the best park they had ever been to. LOL. It was in Johnston.

This friday will be the homeschool rollerskate day. The kids always love going to that.

Ethan's history has been based around Moses and Egypt, Out of Egypt and the Ark of the Covenant, etc... it has been very interesting and I have been getting some of the videos to go along at the library. We've watched the old ten commandments movie with Charlton Heston, Prince of Egypt, Mysteries of the Bible the Lost Ark, Walk thru the Bible (that one lets you really feel what it is like), national geographic Pharao's and Pyramids, etc.... I am doing it more like a unit study with each section we study.
Today was Joshua, Rahab and Jericho.... I couldn't find ANYTHING on that so we just read and I let them all watch Veggie Tales' Josh and the Big Wall and another bible cartoon about it. Nothing real though. It's so much more faith building when there is some documentary or real video on the subject matter.

Today I did absolutely nothing except school and read my hundreds of emails I had to catch up on. No laundry, no cleaning, nothing. I didn't even check to see that the kids really did their chores. My house is a pit from the weekend cause nobody else did anything either.... absolutely nothing. I did dishes tonight from the whole weekend. We had microwave soup and popcorn for supper. How pathetic is that. Nobody complained though. LOL. Then for dessert we had leftover harvest night candy.... whoo hoo. I will be sooooo glad when that is gone!

Now you really know how it is here sometimes. :) If you come over I won't let you in!





Tomorrow night is class, so I better finish up my homework.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home