Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spanish vs. French

Hola!

I had a great time at the new Spanish class. A young mexican gal teaches it. She is here on a 6 month pass, but she can't work, so this is a donation only class to help her out with her needs while she is here. She is a translator for some of the missionaries from the church and has taught Spanish and English in different countries and for YWAM (I think she said). Cool huh?

Her idea of teaching is to start like we are little children/babies and learn the sounds like little babies learn to say the sounds and hear them. I had a lot of fun. Once she got done with the explanation the whole class had to be in complete Spanish or for punishment you had to stand up on one leg and flap like a flamingo. It was funny. Everybody was laughing and being flamingos. It was difficult hearing the sounds sometimes. Now I can see why my kids have a hard time sometimes with their phonics lessons. She said English has like 19 different vowel sounds and Spanish only has 5. I will be going back. I learned a lot. Even the people that had taken some Spanish before learned a lot and said they heard things they never understood before.

I took French when I had to pick a language. Now I wish I would have taken Spanish. I'm sure it would have helped me out much more.... especially in California. LOL Mary. I have been on a mission trip to Mexico but never to the Eiffel Tower. I had 2 years in high school and 2 years in college. I only used it one time when I was working downtown and a lady from France asked where the pens were. I loved it (french) at the time, but you know, I really don't remember any of it unless I'm watching Madeline with my daughter. Elizabeth wants to learn Spanish too, so maybe I need to find some spanish videos. I guess I could start with Dora. Swiper NO Swiping. Oh man. Like I want to watch hours of that? Not. I guess I could get some Kim Possible DVD's and watch them in Spanish. : ) At least I would understand Bueno Nacho.


Buenas noches!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home