Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Feliz Navidad

I am still getting ready for Christmas. I put out a couple of snowmen and decorated the tree that is 4 ft tall and looks like its out of the Charlie Brown's Christmas story.
We are not very popular on the Christmas Card list this year either.... I hang all of our cards on the door frame that goes from the dining room to the kitchen. That's ok though because I didn't get any cards out this year. I do well for a couple years then have to skip one. Maybe I'll send out easter cards or something instead just to change things up.

What's been going on? Let's see the bug guy came and checked the house. He put some sticky traps in the basement to see if he gets anything. We have had a few baby mice get in our traps. I try to flush them down the toilet before the kids see them. I remember when I was really little. I found a nest of mice in a drawer at my grandma's house. They were all super tiny and pink like little naked piggies. I wanted to keep them for pets and my grandma freaked when she saw them. Life is certainly different when you're a kid. Charlotte's Web was fresh in my mind and all animals had a personality. I think those mice ended up in the toilet or as playthings for grandpa's tomcat.

I was driving Ethan to my mom & dad's yesterday so he could help my dad cut firewood. He goes to help my dad about every week..... for a fee of course. We were driving past Gray's Lake and I saw a bald eagle swoop down on the lake to catch a fish. That was very cool. It has been warm here and there is no ice on the lake.

Please pray for our new nephew - he is 15 days old and has an infection which is very very bad. We are supposed to go to visit and have a baby dedication celebration while we are there, but now it may have to be cancelled. If you don't know what MRSA is - it is a super resistant infection that can only be treated by certain kinds of antibiotics. Usually only happens in people with weakened immune systems.... babies, old people, etc... Anyway, little Andrew has it. :( and he was flighted to the big hospital in New Mexico to get properly cared for. They are thinking at this point, that he may not be able to come home for up to 6 weeks...... so no baby dedication. I guess the weather down there is really bad too and roads are practically impassable. New Mexico cities do not have snowplows and salters. Some of the highways have been closed.
So we may be looking at not going down there at all now.
One year we went down there and there was snow the whole time we were there. It was terrible driving. We went down there to escape the cold weather and it ended up colder and snowier there than it was back here in Iowa. So much for hanging out in the hot tub.

I have to work this weekend and then on Christmas day we are having my side of the family over for Christmas Dinner. Edgey will be doing all the prep over the weekend. At least it is more like a potluck this year. Some years we do all of the cooking. There may be times I feel like a scrooge, but there are some years nobody in my family has any holiday spirit.... nobody wants to cook. I think the most fun Christmas dinner we had was when everybody brought mexican dishes and we had a Christmas fiesta. Feliz Navidad! We also did one year with Chinese food. Everyone brought some chinese dish. We had homemade egg rolls, crab rangoons, lo mein and flied lice, veggies, etc... That was fun too. I like tradition, but sometimes it's fun to spice things up a bit. This year we are back to tradition and we are making ham balls. It's a recipe I got the year before I got married.... from the pastor's wife at the church I was going to at the time. They are soooooooo good. I had never had ham balls before. I think I was 24 years old. That woman was a good cook! I got several recipes from her that I still use today.

Just 5 more days till Christmas!


Had to share this rule of thumb:
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

oh, and here's another one:
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

just one more......
It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat! (I think that there's funny-I don't care who y'are)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home