Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Maxine

I have always loved Maxine cartoons. They make me laugh. Maybe because I feel the way she does sometimes but am NEVER able to say the things she says. Is that awful or what? Is it cynical or sarcastic? Maybe a mix of both. I hope I am not too much of either one but I sure think that way sometimes.

Cynical - 1. like or characteristic of a cynic; distrusting or disparaging the motives of others. 2. showing contempt for accepted standards of honesty or morality by one's actions, esp. by actions that exploit the scruples of others. 3. bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic.

Sarcasm - 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony. 2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark.


Example: When my husband is doing really nice things for me and I am not quite sure what the motive is behind the niceness.... Am I going to have to pay him back for something in return? Or is this just out of the kindness of his heart? I hate having those thoughts but my mind is trained so...... He is not happy with me if it is just kindness but, you know, most of the time there IS an alternative motive and I'm sure you know what I mean.
I guess that comes under the cynical definition 1 and 3 - distrusting motives and distrustful pessimism. Hmmmmm.

I mean, don't you ever just want to tell somebody to take a hike, but you're too nice to do it?
Just can't bring yourself to be unkind and unloving so you force self-control and tolerate them?
Come on... be honest.




My day went well. We did our school and current issues with God's World News and then my Grandpa who is 85 came by to see the kids after his cardiac rehab. He hadn't had lunch yet so he took them all to lunch. They were excited to see him. Then Elizabeth (6 y.o.) and I (not telling how old I am) watched the Felicity, American Girl movie and now she wants a horse. The boys were not into the movie. Ethan (11 y.o.) was traipsing around making fun of girls having tea and dressing up and Jesse (5 y.o.) said "That's boring" and ran off to play with transformers.

Edgey came home early and actually cooked dinner for me. Was I cynical? LOL

Quote for the day: If you build your house on a crack in the earth, it's your own fault.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home